Community Eyecare

Mental Health Help and Support Services

At CHEC, we understand that having surgery is daunting and we care about our patients, before and after receiving our services. Because of this, we want our patients to know there are places to go for help if they are experiencing mental health problems or need urgent support. 

We are focusing on improving our support for people in crisis and there are people who can assist you if you ever need it. They are listed here:


Telephone: 116 123 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week and free to call)

Email: [email protected]


Samaritans provide confidential, non-judgemental emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those that could lead to suicide. You can phone, email, write a letter, or talk to someone face-to-face.


Telephone: 0300 123 3393 (9am-6pm Monday to Friday) or text 86463

Email: [email protected]


Mind provides confidential mental health information services.

With support and understanding, Mind enables people to make informed choices. The Infoline gives information on types of mental health problems, where to get help, drug treatments, alternative therapies and advocacy. Mind works in partnership with around 140 local Minds providing local mental health services.

Rethink Mental Illness Advice Line

Telephone: 0300 5000 927 (9:30am – 4pm Monday to Friday)

Email: [email protected]

Website: Looking for advice about mental illness? We can help. (

Provides expert advice and information to people with mental health problems and those who care for them, as well as giving help to health professionals, employers and staff. Rethink also runs Rethink services and groups across England.


Telephone: 07984 967 708 (4:30pm – 10:30pm)

Website: SANEline

Saneline is a national mental health helpline providing information and support to people with mental health problems and those who support them.

The Mix

Telephone: 0808 808 4994 (11am – 11pm, free to call)

Email: Helpline Email Form

Crisis Support:  Text ‘THEMIX’ to 85258

Website: Get Support – The Mix

The Mix provides judgement-free information and support to young people ages 13-25 on a range of issues including mental health problems. Young people can access the The Mix’s support via phone, email, webchat, peer-to-peer and counselling services.


Telephone: 0800 1111

Website: Childline | Childline

ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor for free about anything – no problem is too big or too small.

Side by Side

Website: Side by Side | A community platform by Mind

Side by Side is an online community where you can listen, share and be heard. Side by Side is run by Mind.


Text: 85258

WebsiteFree, 24/7 mental health text support in the UK | Shout 85258 (

Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

NHS England IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)

Website: Find an NHS psychological therapies service (IAPT) – NHS (

If you are based in England, you can use the webpage to find and refer yourself to mental health services in your area.


Telephone: 0808 2000 247 (freephone 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline)

Website: Home | Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline (

Refuge supports those who have experienced violence and abuse and understands that no matter what your experience, they are here to support you. By running a large range of specialist services, they help survivors access safety and rebuild their lives by understanding that each individual will have a unique circumstance and require different services at different times. Their expert staff work closely, and confidentially, with every individual to develop a bespoke support plan, and if the woman is unsure of which service she needs or wants, Refuge will support them through their options. 


If you are a carer needing support, you can contact all of the above as well as Carers Direct and the Carers Trust, both of whom are able to provide support and advice on any issues affecting you.

What should I do if I'm supporting someone in a crisis?

If the person seems really unwell, and you are worried about their safety, you should encourage them to seek help.

How to support someone in crisis